My brother is recycling can and crushing them. Then we take them to the recycle center and turn them in. He uses the money as spending money, but it's something for him to do, something HE'S specifically responsible for. I would really like to grow the cause by encouraging my friends to help with the process. If you'd like to be part of it, start collecting your cans in boxes or plastic bags or whatever. We can then arrange a pick-up time or drop-off time, or something, so we can collect the cans and help my brother in this project! Maybe together we can help save the planet! It's a small start, but at least it's something!
With yesterday being Earth Day, it got me thinking about recycling and doing what I can do to help make things better. On Tuesday I saw a display board at Wal-Mart that had all kinds of interesting facts on it. So I really got to thinking about what I can do. I've always had a desire to recycle, just been lazy. But what has that laziness cost our planet?
This display Wal-Mart had said stuff like this: Aluminum, when recycled, still has almost all it's energy, only using 5% to recycle it; their ads have been talking about using cold water instead of hot when washing clothes and how much water it would save, etc. It's just really got me to thinking.
I mean, think about it. How much paper and plastic do we throw away in one given day? Let me answer for myself (keep in mind that only me and Taben live in my apartment):
I now have 2 bins for recycling, one a 12 quart for plastic, one a 10 quart for aluminum, and a box I've been putting paper stuff in. Well, my plastic one is nearly full- only from today; there are only 3 cans in my aluminum one, but my box is nearly half full with papers and cardboard and that, just from stuff around the house (and the shelf I bought and assembled earlier).
Seriously though, how much of that would have just been thrown in the trash, been wasted? I drink bottled water, and usually throw the bottles away. That's 24 bottles, and I probably buy 2 packs a month, so that would total 48 20 oz bottles just being thrown away!
I'm hoping that I can be much better at it, and maybe everyone else can start pitching in!

No comments:
Post a Comment